Backsafe 1 is an onsite training program tailored to the specific needs of your business and employees. These training sessions are conducted in groups of up to 20 people at a time and take between 100 -120 minutes to complete. They are delivered with our edutainment approach and underpinned by our key Backsafe learning concepts guaranteeing a high level of engagement.
After this training, you can expect immediate results with a reduction in injuries and raised awareness of the internal barriers to safe work methods. Staff and supervisors will begin the process of improving the safety level of the workplace while achieving higher productivity and improved morale. The value to the individual of working safely is made clear and positive behavioural change is immediate.
Backsafe 1 manual handling training session includes the following:
- A brief walk through review of the workplace to assess the variety and intensity of manual handling and mechanical materials handling used on site so as to tailor the training for each client.
- An introduction to what manual handling is covering all of the aspects of the legal definitions.
- How the body works and how the spinal column and joints should not be used as a lever arm when lifting.
- Understanding of how a musculo-skeletal disorder occurs as a cumulative trauma injury.
- How nerve damage occurs and its impact on the body and its functions.
- How pain is not always an indicator of existing damage.
- If damage exists how not to make it worse.
- Pre-work and after breaks warm-ups and stretches explained and performed by all.
- Lifting techniques for frequently used items on the job.
- Practical drilling of lifting and other manual handling utilising all possible techniques.
Backsafe 2 is a revision and maintenance training program that takes 90 - 100 minutes to complete. It is carried out 3, 6 or 12 months after Backsafe 1 so that participants can reinforce earlier training information and reinforce its application in their day to day workplace activities.
We use your tools and equipment to practice new and healthier manual handling habits and we introduce the Backsafe 12 Station Bio-mechanics Circuit® and tailor make this circuit to add a higher level of application specific to your workplace.
We recommend that the entire workforce go through this revision program and complete the Backsafe 2 practical assessment to become truly skilled manual handlers and be able to apply all of the knowledge and skills gained in daily work tasks.
Backsafe 2 manual handling training session includes the following:
- Discussion of participant’s observations and experience since the initial training.
- Review of job station difficulties and the physical demands of job tasks.
- A more detailed human anatomy lesson than delivered in Backsafe 1.
- A revision of the before work and after break stretches.
- Advanced preventative / rehabilitation / back injury repairing stretches so as to increase flexibility and core strength of the torso (the key to body stability and protection from injury).
- Backsafe 12 Station Bio-mechanics Circuit® based on your business activity, job tasks and equipment.
- Backsafe Trainer demonstrates all stations of the circuit regarding the prevention of manual handling issues and slips, trips and falls.
- Participants team up in pairs to complete this circuit under the watchful eye of the Backsafe Trainer / Assessor.
- The session is complete when each pair has worked through the full circuit and can competently demonstrate the correct body movements.