Our Backsafe Patient Handling is an onsite training program geared toward workers in the healthcare industry. These training sessions are conducted in groups of up to 20 people at a time and take between 120 minutes to complete. They are delivered with our edutainment approach and underpinned by our key Backsafe learning concepts guaranteeing a high level of engagement.
After this training, you can expect immediate results with a reduction in injuries and raised awareness of the internal barriers to safe work methods. Staff and supervisors will begin the process of improving the safety level of the workplace while achieving higher productivity and improved morale. The value to the individual of working safely is made clear and positive behavioural change is immediate.
This program includes:
- A brief walk through review of the workplace to assess the variety and intensity of patient handling used on site so as to tailor the training for each client.
- Human anatomy lesson with a personal slant discussing the symptoms that can occur due to poor patient handling.
- Discussion of on job experience, review job task difficulties and the physical demands of individual tasks.
- Before work and after break stretches and more advanced preventative / rehabilitation / back injury repairing stretches. Our aim is to encourage participants to increase their flexibility and strength particularly to the core area of the torso where we derive our stability and protection from.
- We then create a manual handling practical circuit specific to patient handling. We ask all participants to team up in pairs to complete this circuit under the watchful eye of the Backsafe Trainer / Assessor. The circuit will include the following movements:
- Manual Handling – Independent Movements
- Patient Handling
- Lifting and Moving Aids
- The Backsafe Trainer watches each pair and corrects all poorly executed movements. The session is complete when each pair has worked through the full circuit and can competently demonstrate the correct body movements.