Let’s start by making the significance of poor manual handling clear with some shocking workplace facts and statistics. Did you know that ….
- 107,355 serious claims were lodged in the year
- 90% of these serious claims were due to musculoskeletal disorders
- 50% of all lost time injuries are back and neck sprains and strains.
- 66% of back injuries are attributed to poor manual handling skills.
- 12% of manual handling injuries result from slips, trips and falls
- Over half of the men and women who have time off work with back pain suffer another attack within a year.
- Average time lost for a serious claim rose by 33% between 2001-2015
- Poor working posture multiplies the adverse effects of poor lifting and vibration injuries
Ref: Safe Work Australia Workers’ Compensation Data 2014/15
Most of these injuries could have been prevented with effective and practical manual handling training coupled with the proper use of injury prevention techniques such as:
- daily use of spinal motion and joint/limb stretches and exercise
- consistent use of workable ergonomics in job set ups
- provision of appropriate manual handling aids at work and home
- workable application of hazard identification, risk assessments proper controls
Almost every activity that we are involved in requires skilled manual handling. Unless employers and employees understand the core principles involved in managing the human body while manually handling tools, objects and materials, sooner or later back, neck, or limb injuries will occur.
These injuries inevitably accumulate over time, resulting in serious debilitation and ensuing permanent damage. To effectively conduct manual handling risk assessments staff must first be trained in the Backsafe manual handling training program or they will not clearly see or understand what causes musculoskeletal disorders (MSD).
The goal of the Backsafe manual handling training program is to supply you with not only the knowledge, but also the necessary prevention techniques and tools required to eliminate poor manual handling habits before it is too late. We want to prevent the pain, suffering, and debilitation associated with these injuries.
These injuries threaten businesses and cause absenteeism, lower production rates and increased costs. They also cause physical pain and financial loss to individuals and their families.
To find out more about the Backsafe program contact us today on 1300 022 257.
DON’T BEND, DON’T TWIST, DON’T REACH AND DON’T JUMP
TO DECREASE THE RISK OF SUFFERING MUSCULO-SKELETAL INJURIES IN THE WORK PLACE
FOLLOWING THE BACKSAFE 4 DON’TS AND GAINING A BROAD UNDERSTANDING OF HAZARDOUS MANUAL TASKS
WILL REDUCE YOUR RISK BY 80% – 90%.